From: Matteo Pillon <matteo.pillon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x or * in /etc/passwd ?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:24:08
1 On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 10:09:03AM +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > I've seen somewhere a '*' in the password field of non-human users. I
3 > think this is supposed to mean that user can't login. However, I didn't
4 > find anything like that in gentoo's /etc/passwd (e.g., for user cron or
5 > user sshd). Can someone comment on this matter? Is * deprecated? Of
6 > course, these non-human users have /bin/false as shell, but extra
7 > precautions wouldn't hurt...
8 > Am I seeing something wrong?
9
10 Passwords are stored in /etc/shadow for security reasons:
11 -rw-r--r-- /etc/passwd
12 -rw------- /etc/shadow
13
14 >From shadow(5) manpage:
15 If the password field contains some string that is not valid result of
16 crypt(3), for instance ! or *, the user will not be able to use a unix
17 password to log in, subject to pam(7).
18
19 Bye.
22 * Pillon Matteo
23 --