From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggested network fs for small lan ?
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:57:13
1 On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:41:51 +0200
2 Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
3
4 > Nick Rout schrieb:
5 >
6 > > I wasted days getting NFS to not work. I switched to CIFS. It is working very well.
7 >
8 > Is file locking working over CIFS?
9
10 I don't know and I really don't need it, I am basically storing multmedia files and playing them over the network.
11
12 >How about permissions
13 > and ownership?
14
15 seems to work fine, this has improved markedly with the cifs unix extensions.
16
17 > Working as well and easy as it does on NFS?
18 > What kind of problems did you have with NFS - I'm asking,
19 > as I can't think about anything easier than NFS on *nix.
22 I cannot recall now, and it may have been operator error. It is so long ago that I can't recall the details.
23
24 > Alexander Skwar
25 > --
26 > I know how to do SPECIAL EFFECTS!!