From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A pared down kernel config
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 08:13:42
1 On Sunday 06 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > People in this thread speak of 2 and 3 boots and editing in between
3 > in the same message where `5 minutes' is mentioned.  That doesn't
4 > wash. You're way past that time frame.  But still not in the guiness
5 > book realm I guess... hehe.
6
7 I guess the English phrase '5 minutes' is a symlink to another longer
8 phrase: 'A reasonably short period of time that doesn't cause me
9 massive amounts of inconvenience'. I have a spare 2.6.23-gentoo source
10 tree here with everything enabled. With no changes to the config a
11 second 'make' still takes 2m29.414s
12
13 2 to 3 boots with a new kernel version, especially one where sub-systems
14 like libata got moved around, sounds perfectly reasonable.
15 >
16 > > Removing all these unused drivers is the single largest improvement
17 > > in reducing kernel size. The general rule with drivers is that if
18 > > you are familiar with YOUR hardware and you've never heard of
19 > > something in the config then you don't have it and don't need it
20 > > :-)
21 >
22 > Just to know more on this... Is there really any reason to worry
23 > about kernel size... I mean in most cases with a standard desktop
24 > install?
25
26 By "kernel size" I actually meant disk space used, including it's
27 modules.
28
29 Seeing as almost every other mainstream distro gives you a full-featured
30 kernel with all modules included and /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ weighs in
31 at around 400M, I'd say no, it's not worth worrying about.
32
33 Some people do worry about it, and that's cool for them. Some folk do
34 lots of kernel testing, if they have 10 kernel versions on disk then it
35 does become a factor. The beauty of gentoo is that if you don't feel
36 like caring, you don't have to.
37
38 alan
41 Alan McKinnon