From: JD Horelick <jdhore1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What do new keywords mean?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 06:35:21
1 On 5 September 2011 02:24, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >  Whilst spelunking through ebuild files I notice that in addition to
3 > the usual ~amd64 and ~x86 keywords, I also see ~amd64-linux and
4 > ~x86-linux.  What is the significance of this?
5 >
6 > --
7 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
11 As far as I am aware, Gentoo now supports something called prefix
12 installations where you can use portage on top of (at least some of)
13 the BSD's and Solaris and some old-school Unixes and other operating
14 systems that aren't linux, the ~x86-linux keywords are to just signify
15 that it's only being stabilised for linux, not any of the other
16 operating systems. I could be wrong though.