From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and OSS(4)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 02:08:49
1 On 05/15/18 18:22, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > usually I have a alsa free environment (as it never worked well) and
5 > used OSS4 for long time now (>20y).
6 >
7 > Now with the switch to gentoo I wondering if it is possible to use oss
8 > on gentoo too.
9
10 You should be able to, but pulseaudio no longer supports oss. See the
11 'oss' USE flag in:
12
13 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PulseAudio
14
15 Pulseaudio upstream no longer supports oss.
18 > One of the first problems I see is:
19 > !!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "media-sound/pulseaudio" has unmet requirements.
20 > - media-sound/pulseaudio-11.1::gentoo USE="X asyncns caps glib ipv6 ssl udev webrtc-aec -alsa -alsa-plugin -bluetooth -dbus -doc -equalizer -gdbm -gnome -gtk -jack -libressl -libsamplerate -lirc -native-headset (-neon) -ofono-headset -orc (-oss) -qt4 -realtime (-selinux) -sox (-system-wide) -systemd -tcpd -test -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
21 >
22 > The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
23 > udev? ( any-of ( alsa oss ) )
24 >
25 > Even that I have a explicite "oss" in my USE flags, it gets deselected
26 > by pulsaudio (which I primary include to be able to use bluetooth
27 > headset).
28 >
29 > So,
30 >
31 > - What does that -oss in brackets mean?
32
33 When in brackets like that it means it's forced in that position and you
34 can't change it. In this case, it's because upstream deprecated oss
35 support in pulseaudio.
36
37 > - How can I force usage of oss
38
39 You can't, as far as I know. In this case the flag seems to be removed
40 (equery uses pulseaudio doesn't list oss as a valid USE-flag) and it
41 might be a bug in the package as you shouldn't be able to set oss any more.
42
43 > - Is there a oss4 patchset for kernel and the userspace available?
46 You might still be able to use oss but you won't be able to use
47 pulseaudio with it. If you remove pulseaudio as a dependency (and not
48 install it) it could work?
49
50 (I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will point it out...)
51
52 Dan