From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hostile takeover of our github mirror. Don't use ebuild from there until new warning!
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 15:54:46
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > 2018-06-29 0:15 GMT+03:00 Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)
4 > <klondike@g.o>:
5 > >
6 > > I just want to notify that an attacker has taken control of the Gentoo
7 > > organization in Github and has among other things replaced the portage
8 > > and musl-dev trees with malicious versions of the ebuilds intended to
9 > > try removing all of your files.
10 > >
11 > > Whilst the malicious code shouldn't work as is and GitHub has now
12 > > removed the organization, please don't use any ebuild from the GitHub
13 > > mirror ontained before 28/06/2018, 18:00 GMT until new warning.
14 >
15 > I have heard that Github was bought by MS. So, why not to move to GitLab?
18 This has been the subject of a fair bit of discussion actually.
19 However, that alone wouldn't have prevented an attack like this as far
20 as I can tell. That is, the compromise didn't involve anything in
21 Github's control, but just a compromised password.
22
23 There are plenty of reasons to consider moving to GitLab. Right now
24 the general sentiment seems to be wait-and-see, as gitlab.com is still
25 proprietary and isn't as popular (which was one of the original
26 drivers for having support on Github). What I think would have the
27 bigger impact is if somebody actually came up with a FOSS distributed
28 solution for bug/issue/PR tracking that was decent. Then just as we
29 can have multiple mirrors of the code we could have muliple mirrors of
30 everything else and all of this would be less of an issue.
33 Rich