From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: RAID problems - Is udev at fault here?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:33:48
1 On 05/16/2010 10:56 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I have a newish high-end machine here that's causing me some problems
3 > with RAID, but looking at log files and dmesg I don't think the
4 > problem is actually RAID and more likely udev. I'm looking for some
5 > ideas on how to debug this.
6 >
7 > The hardware:
8 > Asus Rampage II Extreme
9 > Intel Core i7-980x
10 > 12GB DRAM
11 > 5 WD5002ABYS RAID Edition 500GB drives
12
13 I had an asus mobo that turned out to be great in the long run, but a few
14 of its newer hardware gadgets took months to be well-supported by linux.
15
16 I'm thinking (completely guessing :) it sounds like a driver that's not
17 setting some bit properly in a hardware register during boot.
18
19 That turned out to be a problem with the network chip on my asus, which
20 randomly didn't work after reboots. Finally the driver got fixed after
21 I whined a thousand times to the driver maintainer at Broadcom :)