From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage autounmask is strange again
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:56:47
1 Am 15.08.2011 20:02, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > It's not a bug, portage is doing what it should.
4 >
5 > In the first case portage will try upgrade all packages to the latest
6 > version. It sees that you asked it to try autounmask stuff, so it
7 > wants to override your local mask for ExtUtils-ParseXS.
8
9 I don't asked portage to autounmask anything, that is a feature of
10 portage-2.2 and should normaly only fire when there is a need to unmask
11 (or change USE or change keyword) anything to fullfill the needs of the
12 packages to be installed or updated.
13
14 Else it would tell anyone on stable who use portage-2.2 to change to
15 ~unstable because there is newer stuff to install. I have a large amount
16 on packages that have newer versions that are masked and autounmask
17 doesn't ask me to install them only because they are newer.
18
19 > In the second case you have told portage to upgrade system and world
20 > but to leave masking well enough alone. As your current installed
21 > version of ExtUtils-ParseXS satisfies all needs, it makes no effort to
22 > try and upgrade it.
23
24 I think that you not really know what the autounmask-feature of
25 portage-2.2 is all about.
26
27 Normally it does something like this:
28
29 emerge =perl-core/ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.20.0 -vp
30
31 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
32
33 Calculating dependencies ... done!
34 [ebuild U ] perl-core/ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.20.0 [2.22.06] 0 kB
35
36 Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB
37
38 The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
39 #required by =perl-core/ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.20.0 (argument)
40 >=perl-core/ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.20.0 ~amd64
41
42 NOTE: This --autounmask behavior can be disabled by setting
43 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--autounmask=n" in make.conf.
44
45 without it would look like this:
46
47 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--autounmask=n" emerge
48 =perl-core/ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.20.0 -vp
49
50 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
51
52 Calculating dependencies ... done!
53
54 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=perl-core/ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.20.0"
55 have been masked.
56 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
57 request:
58 - perl-core/ExtUtils-ParseXS-3.20.0::gentoo (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
59
60 For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
61 man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
62
63 It is just a other way to display what is needed to be done. If
64 autounmask fires portage should throw an error too if trying the same
65 thing again with autounmask=n. But here it doesn't. It tells me to
66 unmaks without any need.
67
68 > The trick to working with autounmask is to realise that it is stupid
69 > software, it cannot possibly know what you want or intend. So it tries
70 > a blanket approach for the most part. If you have more complex masking
71 > than just stable/unstable statistically it will be wrong far more
72 > often than it is right.
73
74 If there is a package version masked and nothing needs that version then
75 autounmask should not fire. It should leave that alone.
76
77 For me it still looks like a bug.
78
79 Greetings