From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Browsers cannot access WWW while ping and host utilities work as expected.
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:13:31
1 On 12/08/2013 09:13, gevisz wrote:
2 > The response of the first router contained an error that prevented all the
3 > other applications to use it, the system knew about it (for example from
4 > the output of the host utility) but, nevertheless did not proceeded with
5 > the next router listed in resolv.conf.
6 >
7 > I do undersand that this may be because of the layered structure of the
8 > networked software. But, nevertheless, I think that something is fundamentally
9 > wrong with this.
10
11 What kind of error did you get?
12
13 If complete garbage came back, I'm not sure what the resolver does with
14 that (oddly enough, I never tested that)
15
16 The more usual case is you get a proper DNS result of NXDOMAIN which
17 indicates the query is valid, but the entry is not in DNS. It's
18 pointless trying another cache as per DNS, they should all then return
19 that result.
20
21 This is why the router did not try the other entries in resolv.conf -
22 that usually only happens when a cache does not respond. So the
23 behaviour you saw is probably correct albeit not the behaviour you wanted.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com