From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] module-init-tools - can not download it
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:39:55
1 On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Thaks Mark, yes your mirrors worked. It makes me wonder what is wrong with
5 > my mirrors (they all failed) :-/
6 >
7 > GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/gentoo-mirror/
8 > ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/
9 > http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/
10 > http://mirror.mdfnet.se/mirror/gentoo"
11 >
12 > --
13 > Joseph
16 Joseph,
17 In all likelihood there is NOTHING wrong with your mirrors.
18 Consider the idea that:
19
20 1) There are 1000 mirrors out there. (made up number - I have no idea how many)
21
22 2) There's a glitch in your server or it's internet connection, or
23 it's simply off-line for a short time for maintenance or backups or
24 something.
25
26 3) The Gentoo-devs push out an update.
27
28 The result:
29
30 1) My mirror gets the update
31 2) Your mirror does not, at least for a little while
32
33 As I'm guessing from these questions that you are relatively new to
34 Gentoo keep in mind that Gentoo is a BIG thing in terms of all the
35 servers around the world that are supporting it. There's no way 999
36 servers should wait for one more to come on-line. What if it never
37 comes on-line? So they push stuff out, it goes where it can, and where
38 it cannot go it goes later, or never.
39
40 You get to choose your mirrors. You get to change your mirrors. (Using
41 mirrorselect IIRC) You're free to change them. I have lots of times.
42
43 WRT your mirrors, I've never used _any_ of them so I don't know they
44 are reliable.
45
46 I agree with Bruce that http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ tends to be very
47 reliable. I run Gentoo on a number of machine here at home. I
48 purposely use different mirrors on each one to give me a little more
49 redundancy and then rsync between them is one of them cannot get the
50 data from outside. I do use http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ on another
51 machine, just not the one I'm on right now.
52
53 (And referring to my little initramfs thread, the one that has now
54 booted from an "initramfs inside the kernel" as per Neil's inputs!)
55 <yipee!>
56
57 HTH,
58 Mark