From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Last rites: app-admin/gkrellm & plugins
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 06:20:14
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > # Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> (2023-01-27)
3 > # GKrellM and a variety of plugins.  It's unmaintained for some time.
4 > # Upstream homepage is gone, and the whole suite is collecting dust
5 > # and patches.
6 > # Removal on 2023-02-26.  Bug #892251.
7 >
8 > [also eclass/gkrellm-plugin.eclass]
9 >
10 > acct-group/gkrellmd
11 > acct-user/gkrellmd
12 > app-admin/gkrellm
13 > app-laptop/ibam
14 > media-plugins/gkrellmpc
15 > x11-plugins/bfm
16 > x11-plugins/gkrellaclock
17 > x11-plugins/gkrellfire
18 > x11-plugins/gkrellkam
19 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-bgchanger
20 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-bluez
21 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-countdown
22 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-cpupower
23 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-imonc
24 > x11-plugins/gkrellmlaunch
25 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-leds
26 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-mailwatch
27 > x11-plugins/gkrellmoon
28 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-plugins
29 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-radio
30 > x11-plugins/gkrellmss
31 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-trayicons
32 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-vaiobright
33 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-volume
34 > x11-plugins/gkrellmwireless
35 > x11-plugins/gkrellm-xkb
36 > x11-plugins/gkrellshoot
37 > x11-plugins/gkrellstock
38 > x11-plugins/gkrellsun
39 > x11-plugins/gkrelltop
40 > x11-plugins/gkrellweather
41 > x11-plugins/gkwebmon
42 > x11-plugins/i8krellm
43 > x11-themes/gkrellm-themes
46 I'm forwarding this from the gentoo-dev-announce mailing list.  It's
47 also on -dev as well.  It seems the guy who originally came up with and
48 maintained gkrellm sadly died a while back.  From other replies I read
49 on -dev, there is some changes coming that may make gkrellm no longer
50 work.  It has something to do with GTK-3 support.  It's a bit over my
51 head to be honest.  :/
52
53 First, if someone can help keep this going, it seems to be available, if
54 the license allows someone else to take it over or fork it maybe.  I
55 don't know code but I do use gkrellm and sure would miss it.  I suspect
56 even a proxy maintainer would keep this alive. I have no idea how
57 complicated the code for this thing is.  It may be easy, it may be
58 really advanced.
59
60 Second, if no one takes it over, what could be used in its place?  I'll
61 be honest, I don't know of anything that could replace it but I've never
62 thought about looking either.  I'm looking into app-admin category but
63 don't see anything obvious to replace it.  I've tried some KDE plasma
64 stuff ages ago, I still prefer gkrellm.  None of them I looked at comes
65 even close.
66
67 I'm sure I'm not the only one on this mailing list who uses gkrellm.
68 This is sort of a heads up.  Someone already a dev may take it up, they
69 may not.  Help may would save it.  Either way, this is a notice of the
70 current state and if needed, a discussion on what we can use in its place.
71
72 Thanks.
73
74 Dale