From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption?
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 08:37:05
1 Morning all,
2
3 Yesterday I found I couldn't boot this box. I use bootctl from systemd-boot to
4 manage my boot partition (nothing else of systemd, though), and when I ran
5 'bootctl install' after compiling a new kernel, I got strange error messages,
6 and a new directory under /boot with (I think) a 24-digit hex number as a
7 name. I brought efibootmgr up and found I had 30 entries in the boot list
8 (from 00 to 1D), including several apparent duplicates of genuine entries.
9
10 The only way I found to clear up the mess was to write a new gpt partition
11 table, re-create all the partitions and restore from backup.
12
13 Any idea what could have cause this? I've attached a gparted diagram of the
14 disk layout in case it helps.
15
16 And is there a good way to clear the efi system partition, short of dd-ing a
17 load of zeroes into it? Would that even have helped?
20 Regards,
21 Peter.

gparted.png image/png