From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] some i/o errors are making my portage useless!
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:57:41
1 So last night I do "emerge sync", and all of a sudden portage is
2 giving me a whole lot of I/O errors right before "emerge sync" is
3 completed, like
4
5 stat app-misc/esekeyd : Input/output error
6 rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "app-misc/esekeyd/files": Input/output error (2)
7 stat app-misc/esekeyd/files : Input/output error
8 io timeout after 180 seconds - exiting
9 rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(85)
10
11 The emerge will not complete successfully. Tried it again this
12 morning - no luck. Thought I'd reboot, and on boot-up I get a message
13 telling me that my "/dev/sda4" filesystem, which is where my /usr is
14 mounted, contains errors. So as Gentoo is trying to repair it, I hear
15 periodic beeps coming from inside my PC. Finally, the PC boots. I
16 run "emerge sync", and again - same errors that I posted above. But
17 this time, I hear beeps from inside my PC even as emerge is running
18 trying to complete syncing. The sync will not complete successfully,
19 so I cannot even use portage until I get a successful sync (right?).
20
21 Do I have a problem with my hardware in this case, or is it something
22 software related? I am using two big old Seagate SCSI drives (47 GB
23 each), with Adaptec drivers.
24
25 My partition table is as follows, if it helps resolve this:
26
27 /dev/sda1 --> /boot (200MB)
28 /dev/sda2 --> SWAP (2GB)
29 /dev/sda3 --> / (25GB)
30 /dev/sda4 --> /usr (20GB)
31
32 /dev/sdb1 --> /home (47GB)
33
34 I am running an Intel x86-based system. Would appreciate any help.
35 Denis
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list