From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to "freeze" my Gentoo system
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:00:36
1 On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:40:54 -0700
2 Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a
5 > while, yet allow package-rN updates...
6 >
7 > I spent most of the last couple of days killing two bugs that were a
8 > serious drag on my laptop, involving kacpid hogging the CPU on a
9 > resume, or bay swap, and gnome panel freezing on > 7 open windows (a
10 > real deal killer). I'd like to spend a few months just using it now
11 > that it all works...
12 >
13 > So with the latest kernel in the tree unmasked (kacpid bug fix) and a
14 > couple of patches and ebuilds in my overlay for a pair of unmasked
15 > x11 and gnome packages, what is the method to keep this 'world' in a
16 > 'set' and 'forgotten' state? '-)
17 >
18 > Cheers,
21 I wouldn't use a script for managing something as delicate ad updates.
22
23 Just have a look at your weekly "emerge --sync && emerge -uDNpv world"
24 and manually mask whatever you don't feel to upgrade (put in
25 package.mask the exact version so new upgrades/bugfixes will show up
26 again in future syncs).
27
28 My 2 cents.
29