From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde splash screen won't show up when loading kde
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 15:50:14
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 17:29:11 -0600
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I have noticed that when I do a KDE upgrade and something acts a
6 >> little funny, a emerge -e world generally fixes it. I do wish there
7 >> was a way to know what needed to be emerged again without doing
8 >> everything. OP, you could try doing a emerge -e ksplash with the -t
9 >> option and sort of see what it depends on that way. Then try to
10 >> emerge those packages first to see if it helps. For what it is worth,
11 >> I did the upgrade and the only problem I ran into was my saved
12 >> session got messed up. I had to set things up and save it again, I
13 >> haven't logged out and back in yet so I hope that fixes that problem.
14 >> Any Linux geeks know how to fix this sort of thing without a emerge
15 >> -e world?
16 > short answer: usually, you can't
17 >
18 > longer answer: you can't, because software usually can't detect the
19 > answer.
20 >
21 > revdep-rebuild does a fine job of finding what it was designed to do -
22 > reverse dependencies that are now broken.
23 >
24 > So if app A uses lib B directly which uses lib C directly, and lib C
25 > got updated, revdep-rebuild will discover if the new C is incompatible
26 > with the current B. Re-emerge B and it usually just manages to do the
27 > right thing.
28 >
29 > Weird issues often crop up when you have plug-in modules that are
30 > loaded dynamically at runtime. Revdep-rebuild can't find these as they
31 > don't show up in ldd, the app itself figures out what modules it wants
32 > to load then tries, so if something is broken there, well you find that
33 > out when you run the app.
34 >
35 > emerge -e world is the only way I know to to fix these things with any
36 > certainty. Binary distro by the way usually don't have this problem
37 > happen to them, because with those lib C doesn't suddenly get ripped
38 > out underneath B and replaced ;-)
43 That figures. So, emerge -e world it is from time to time then.
44
45 Binaries may not have this problem but they sure do have their share of
46 other problems. lol
47
48 Dale
49
53 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!