From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] remove gnome/systemd
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 07:19:42
1 On Tue, 2017-09-12 at 18:31 +0200, Nils Freydank wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 12. September 2017, 17:55:22 CEST schrieb Raffaele
3 > Belardi:
4 > > After several months of Gnome3 I decided it is too heavy for my old
5 > > workstation and would like to go back to LXDE. The flow could be:
6 > >
7 > > 1. rebuild kernel with openRC support and install
8 > > 2. emerge -C gnome networkmanager
9 > > 3. emerge -C systemd
10 > > 4. change profile to generic desktop (non-Gnome)
11 > > 5. emerge -N lxde-meta
12 > > 6. emerge -N xdm openrc anacron sysklogd sysvinit
13 > > 7. reboot
14 > >
15 > > I doubt it will be this easy... anything I'm missing, suggestions?
16 >
17 > Hi, I’d run it a bit differently:
18 > - change profile
19 > - force-remove gnome (emerge -aC)
20 > - double checking USE flags and updating @world as usual
21 > - cleanup (emerge --ask --verbose --clean)
22
23 Isn't cleanup better performed by emerge --depclean?
24
25 Won't emerge --depclean be confused if I change profile before running
26 it? I'd expect it to check the USE flags before deciding to remove a
27 package so if I change profile beforehand it will base decision on
28 wrong assumptions. But I'm not at all sure about this, does anybody
29 have an opinion?
30
31 > - install services that aren’t already installed as a dep (maybe
32 > anacron or ntpd/chrony)
33 > - Adding the services to appropriate runlevels (e.g. rc-update add
34 > xdm default)
35 >
36 > - If necessary, replacing udev with eudev. I don’t remember if it got
37 > changed automatically
38 > a while ago on one of my systems due the switch.
39 >
40 > If you didn’t explicitly removed OpenRC you have it already
41 > installed, (removal is possible though),
42 > and sysvinit gets pulled in by OpenRC ;-)
43 >
44 > BTW, I personally like elogind (a standalone "cut off" of systemd-
45 > logind) and can suggest it
46 > as a surrogate for consolekit2. Support by the upstream is incredible
47 > fast.
48
49 I'll check this. I confess consolekit is one of those packages that got
50 installed somehow but I never did any configuration or study about it
51 (i.e. I don't know why it's there...)
54 > Have fun :)
55 > Nils
56 > > thanks,
57 > >