From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Solved: ABI_X86=
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 21:54:33
1 On Monday 29 Feb 2016 23:07:12 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 29/02/2016 18:59, James wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > >>>> ABI_X86="32 64"
5 > >>>
6 > >>> Well this just worked fine, but, I'm curious if this (ABI_X86="32 64")
7 > >>> setting in make.conf should be part of any selected profile for amd_64 ?
8 > >>
9 > >> It's not in any profiles, you have to set it manually. Doing it globally
10 > >> like you did compiles 32 and 64 bit versions of everything, that will
11 > >> make most gentooers whinge mightily
12 > >
13 > > Is there a provision (mechanism) to have this autoset, if a package
14 > > dependency call for it? The system was fine for a quite a while until I
15 > > forced it to only install 64 bit libs. What's the proper (auto) fix, as I
16 > > do not remember having to have all of these 32 bit libs before, only a
17 > > few?
18 >
19 > There isn't an auto-fix to my knowledge, other than setting the flag
20 > globally in make.conf. At heart ABI_X86 is a USE flag and follows all
21 > the rules of USE flags - you set them globally or per-package.
22 >
23 > Do you have an automagic method to enable mysql support for postfix in
24 > one step that will set all needed USE? Mo? Well, there isn't one for
25 > ABX_X86 either. You set the flag on for the 32 bit apps you have, and
26 > follow the chain of incompatible USE all the way to the end. It's a
27 > major pain in the butt.
28
29 As Alan explained the setting of ABI_X86 globally will force *all* of your
30 packages to build 32bit binaries. IMHO, an awful waste of electrons.
31
32 Why don't you just set ABI_X86 only for the packages that request it, in
33 package.use?
36 Regards,
37 Mick