From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dennis Ritchie
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 12:52:16
1 Am Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:26:40 +0100
2 schrieb Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>:
3
4 > On 15/10/2011 12:33, luis jure wrote:
5 > >
6 > > hello boys [1],
7 > >
8 > > i know i don't participate much on this list, but this does not
9 > > mean that i don't try to follow most of the threads (not all of
10 > > them, i admit).
11 > >
12 > > i realized just now that no one has commented on the news of the
13 > > recent death of dennis ritchie. considering that his contributions
14 > > to the development of computational technologies were not only
15 > > paramount, but affect all of us in a very direct way, i think we
16 > > could somehow compensate for the lack of echo of these news in the
17 > > media, by dedicating some time to celebrate his memory and express
18 > > our gratitude.
19 >
20 > I agree,
21 >
22 > I have spent the last few hours trying to explain his work to the
23 > folks here who were so saddened by Steve Jobs passing. While it is
24 > very sad on both counts, I am getting annoyed by the opinion that
25
26 > "Richie might have helped popularise C, but SJ invented the
27 > iPhone...which is 10x more useful".
28 >
29 > I swear I'm dealing with a bunch of cretins here :P
30
31 haha wow. i admire your self-control :P
32
33 im sure, by everyone who counts, dennis ritchie will be remembered for
34 his work.