From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gigabyte mobo latency
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 21:25:43
1 On 18/10/14 16:49, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > OK, so I run a minimalist DE (LXDE) and htop to monitor
6 > system performance. The mobo has an fx8350 with 8 cores
7 > (currently set at 4GHz (unclocked). The system rarily
8 > uses over 8/32 gig of it's ram. So the resources are not
9 > even close to exhausted. cpus mostly idle.
10 >
11 > I do keep (2) browsers up, with tabs aplenty, but they are not being used
12 > very much. It's mostly a myriad of documents to read while I hack at code.
13 >
14 > Often the latency is minimal and the system response (as guaged)
15 > from the keyboard is fine (quick). Other times the active terminal
16 > session is a pig mostly in the web browser windows.
17 >
18 > So. Is there a make.conf setting or elsewhere to make the
19 > terminal session response times, in the browsers (seamonkey, firefox)
20 > faster? Something like a ram_disk just for the browsers?
21 >
22 > Note, after I finish up a project, many (browser) terminal sessions
23 > are deleted and things are fine again. I'm just asking for a way
24 > to ensure more ram/cpu resources are dedicated to the browsers
25 > to boost performance, on a dynamic basis (without manual intervention).
26 >
27 > Maybe a ram_disk_cache (dynamic renice to-10 for the active window?) just
28 > for the active browser window (the browser window I'm typing in? (background
29 > code compilations are not concurrent with
30 > the typing latency in the browser windows).....
31 >
32 > ideas?
35 > James
38 two things you might like to look into: 1. cgroups (including freezer)
39 to help isolate your browsers and also 2. look at atop instead of htop
40 as this includes disk io