From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cgroupd really do work!
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 03:05:09
1 On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 17:20 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:41 PM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > Re the discussion on cgroups on the 24/25 november - on my old AMD
4 > > barton 2500+ desktop - in the past a load of anything more than 5 made
5 > > it very painful to use. Add in running windows in a qemu vm at the same
6 > > time (all in 1.5G ram) and its almost unusable as an interactive
7 > > desktop.
8 > >
9 > > Now, with Florians (thanks for the scripts) version of using it on
10 > > gentoo, even at a load in excess of 12, its almost as good as with no
11 > > load for desktop operations!
12 > >
13 > > To get the high load I am compiling a new kernel, running win2k in qemu,
14 > > emerging latest updates, browsing the web and reading email in
15 > > evolution, running updatedb and other cron jobs (just restarted after a
16 > > tuxonice hibernate so everything is triggering at once!).
17 > >
18 > > Really, really, really neat!
19 > > BillK
20 >
21 > Very cool indeed.
22 >
23 > Which kernel did you choose? ck-sources? Something else?
24 >
25 > Cheers,
26 > Mark
29 gentoo-sources 2.6.34, just finished compiling 2.6.36 (all manually
30 configured)
31
32 BillK
36 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>