From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rescue cd for zfs 2.1 or thereabouts
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:21:55
1 On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 1:51 PM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > In a small nutshell, you have a small EFI+boot partition, set to type
5 > > 'EFI System' and formatted FAT32, then tell grub to use it as an EFI
6 > > directory when calling grub-install.
7 >
8 > In simple(r) systems where you only boot the same OS you can instead use the
9 > kernel's EFI stub to get the UEFI firmware to load the latest OS kernel
10 > directly from the ESP, without a 3rd party boot manager:
11 >
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_stub
13 >
14 > You'll use the efibootmgr to manage the kernel images stored on ESP, or your
15 > UEFI configuration menu if it has this functionality.
16 >
17 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Efibootmgr
20 > If you are multibooting frequently and getting into the UEFI boot menu to
21 > change the boot order or running efibootmgr is too much hassle, then a 3rd
22 > party boot manager will be useful. Your choice of GRUB, rEFInd, systemd-boot,
23 > syslinux, EFI executable image will be installed and loaded/run by the UEFI
24 > firwmare from the ESP, with which in turn you will select and load your
25 > desired OS.
28 So, which (if any) of these options supports either:
29
30 1. An EFI partition plus /boot on zfs (with no limitations on pool
31 config, ie it can be a root pool).
32 2. An EFI partition that contains everything.
33
34 If I want to use grub+EFI with a zfs root it sounds like I'd need TWO
35 boot partitions - an EFI partition (FAT32), and a /boot partition
36 (anything, but if ZFS it needs to have controlled features). That
37 seems even more messy than what I'm doing now.
40 Rich