From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Again: Critical bugs considered invalid
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 01:22:11
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Enrico Weigelt [mailto:weigelt@×××××.de]
3 > Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:00 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again: Critical bugs considered invalid
8 > * burlingk@×××××××××.mil <burlingk@×××××××××.mil> wrote:
9 >
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > > Second: Bug reports for real bugs.
13 > > Bug reports need to be thorough. If they do not provide enough
14 > > information to reproduce a bug, or at least explain exactly what is
15 > > going on, then it is hard for the developers and bug
16 > squashers to do
17 > > anything about it.
18 >
19 > Sometimes, as the reported, you miss some important things. Okay.
20 > Then the wrangler (or whom else works onthr bug) simply
21 > should ask for more information.
22 >
23 > But if your bugs are always marked as invalid, you loose any
24 > motiviation for further contributions. Bug reports are also
25 > contribution.
26
27 I can't really argue that one. I would also admit that I personally
28 tend to be a lot more patient in weedling information out of an
29 end user. Comes from tech support training. Do remember though that
30 a lot of techies are not people persons (I know that is not a great
31 excuse, or even good grammar). The founders of the open source movement
32 were notorious jerks. :P It is a matter of recorded fact. They
33 Focused more on the software and let their friends handle the people.
34
35 > > if the idea of creating a new profile would not work for you,
36 > > then recreating your firefox directory, with "physical" copies
37 > > of the symlinked files would do the trick as well.
38 >
39 > Not really. The symlinks are no problem for FF, it works perfectly
40 > well. And I *need* them to store temporary stuff locally.
41 > It's mozilla-launcher which artificially breaks if it
42 > *thinks* something could be wrong.
45 Personally, I don't realy know WHAT mozilla-launcher is I think. :P
46 I have always just created shortcuts to firefox directly, and let it
47 handle everything itself.
48
49 > > Imagine if you just sunk three years into a project, and suddenly
50 > > someone started attacking you because it didn't work perfectly on
51 > > their system.
52
53 > Well, I'm working on lots of OSS projects for many many
54 > years. But I never ever felt being attacked by an bug report.
55
56 It is not the bug report that is the attack. It is the angry
57 declarations
58 of incompetense. The insistance that because you do not agree, that
59 something
60 must be wrong with the developers. The fact that in just a handful of
61 hours
62 working with a complicated issue, you declared the community at large to
63 be hostile and ignorant.
64
65 That is just what I have seen from this situation. It is not the fact
66 that
67 you submit bugs, it is the way in which you do it.
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list