From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: When ls command fails but only on $HOME
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 11:00:50
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:28 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
4 > did opine thusly:
5 >
6 >> Something I have not run into before.
7 >>
8 >> Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
9 >> not run on $HOME.
10 >>
11 >> I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
12 >> not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.
13 >>
14 >> Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.
15 >>
16 >> The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
17 >> when viewing $HOME with emacs.
18 >>
19 >> Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
20 >> indefinite hang, nothing listed.
21 >>
22 >> I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
23 >> Still just sets there.
24 >>
25 >> I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
26 >> still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.
27 >>
28 >> In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
29 >> $HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
30 >> not stop it.
31 >>
32 >> It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
33 >> Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?
34 >
35 > By the time the command hits ls itself, the shell has already expanded the
36 > HOME variable. So it's unlikely to be the command and more something dodgy
37 > with your shell.
38 >
39 > What shell are you using?
40 > What is the output of "echo $HOME"?
41
42 My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
43 Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262
44
45 echo $HOME
46 /home/reader
47
48 That recent update may be the problem. I'll back that out later to
49 see, but right now have a bigger and more urgent problem getting mail
50 back in order following a major update.