From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:41:47
1 On Friday 28 November 2008 20:24:38 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Friday 28 November 2008 13:14:42 Dale wrote:
4 > >> If this is a little high, what would be the best way to defrag it?
5 > >
6 > > By not defragging it.
7 > >
8 > > It's not Windows. Windows boxes needs defragging not because
9 > > fragmentation is a huge problem in itself, but because windows
10 > > filesystems are a steaming mess of cr@p that do little right and most
11 > > things wrong. Defrag treats the symptom, not the cause :-)
12 >
13 > I don't buy into that argument and never did. Every few months I copy
14 > the whole HD to another one and then back to counter fragmentation
15 > (ext3) and the system becomes noticeably faster after doing it (speed
16 > increase in emerge --sync for example.) Maybe it's not fragmentation
17 > but rather related files being more closely together after I do this.
18
19 Only a proper analysis of your files will tell you this. It's easy enough to
20 check for individual file fragmentation and get stats on that before you do
21 the copy-off/copy-back.
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com