From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:52:20
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4
5 > > Seriously though, why not use make install? That way you know the
6 > > right files get copied and given the expected names.
7 >
8 > Because I name my kernel and config the same thing. I also don't like
9 > the way it does that link thingy it does. It seems to expect to keep
10 > only two kernels around and I'm real bad to have more than that,
11 > sometimes way more than that. Plus, if I do it myself, I know what I am
12 > doing. If I use make install, I don't know if something was changed in
13 > how it does it.
14 >
15 > It's just me being me. lol
16
17 No, me too. In my history of using Linux, I very often had trouble with
18 new kernels. When I had an NVidia graphics card, that often caused
19 trouble. Nowadays it's ISDN sometimes.
20
21 The fact that I build a new kernel does not necessarily mean that I want
22 to boot it yet. And I want to keep old kernels around, several, not only
23 the last one. I do not reboot often, so sometimes multiple kernel versions
24 have been installed since the last reboot. I would not want my current
25 kernel to have vanished, just in case I will need it again when the new
26 ones do not work. With kernel >= 3.4.3 I had two weird panics in the last
27 two weeks, I am still using it, but maybe I will need 3.3.5 again, which
28 would be the sixth-newest one. And I think that maybe hibernation and
29 ISDN used to work longer ago, maybe I will give the last 2.6 kernel a try
30 again.
31
32 So I use genkernel to build and install new kernels, and modify grub.conf
33 manually to add this kernel to the menu. The .config is also being copied
34 to the boot partition, using a similar name as the kernel and the
35 initramfs.
36
37 I'll continue to use the old Grub, as it's working fine for me. I
38 understand it very well, probably because there is not much to
39 understand. Ususally it only takes root (hd0,0) and setup (hd0) commands
40 to install, and the config file is very easy to edit.
41
42 I had some painful experiences with Grub2 on Ubuntu, and did not
43 understand for a while what to do. There's too much automagic involved,
44 scripts creating the actual grub.cfg file. Config files in /etc/grub.d
45 and /etc/default/grub. There's grub-install, grub-setup, update-grub, and
46 what else. The Grub menu is shown only if there are multiple operating
47 systems installed, it took me quite a while to figure out how to make it
48 appear at all.
49
50 Gentoo is a distro for experts they say, but for me it seems to be
51 actually easier than other distros like Ubuntu which are supposed to be
52 easy. Yes, they are, but only when you do standard things. If your setup
53 is somewhat special, it's actually harder to figure out what is necessary
54 to do, at least that's my experience.
55
56 Wonko