From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 01:28:41
1 2011/11/25 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
2
3 > I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
4 > highly-partitioned, like this:
5 >
6 > /
7 > /boot
8 >
9
10 okay
11
12
13 > /usr
14 >
15
16 why? just makes your life harder.
17
18
19 > /tmp
20 >
21
22 okay
23
24
25 > /usr/portage ==> via NFS
26 >
27
28 if it makes you happy...
29
30
31 > /var
32 >
33
34 okay
35
36
37 > /var/lib/postgresql
38 >
39
40 ?
41
42 /var/tmp
43 >
44
45 okay
46
47
48 > /var/log
49 >
50
51 why?
52
53 /var/spool
54 >
55
56 why?
57
58 >
59 > (Not all of them will reside on the same physical disk; I have
60 > /dev/sda up to /dev/sdd)
61 >
62 > I've been searching high and low for recommended numbers... and there
63 > are as many number as search-hits.
64 >
65 > So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?
66 >
67
68 if you really have to split up /var like this, do yourself some favours and
69 spread it over several disks. Also don't put /var and /usr on the same
70 disk.
71
72
73 >
74 > (And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)
75 >
76
77 yes, a lot.