From: gentuxx <gentuxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to get ssh host based authentication working?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 05:20:12
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 John Blinka wrote:
5 > Hi, folks,
6 >
7 > I'd like to get host based ssh authentication working within
8 > all the gentoo boxes on my home network. I've had no
9 > success yet - I hope someone can enlighten me!
10 >
11 > What I've done so far on the server side is:
12 >
13 > set HostbasedAuthentication yes in sshd_config
14 > set HostbasedAuthentication yes in ssh_config
15 > added /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv containing names of client boxes
16 > added /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts containing public host keys of
17 > client boxes
18 >
19 > Client boxes are configured similarly.
20 >
21 > When I try to ssh from one box to another, I always get a request
22 > for a password, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
23
24 If you just want to be able to log into each system without using a
25 password, why not set up publickey authentication instead of
26 hostbased? The principle is essentially the same, except the
27 authentication key is tied to the user instead of the system.
28 >
29 > Below is an excerpt from an attempt to ssh from one box to another
30 > while requesting the maximum amount of debugging info. It looks
31 > like ssh is trying to use host based authentication, but for some
32 > reason it fails. I'd appreciate any ideas about what might be
33 > going wrong.
34 [ .... SNIP SSH DEBUG INFO .... ]
35
36 I haven't done too much hostbased authentication, because it's
37 historically insecure. But if I understand the man page correctly,
38 the following needs to be in place:
39
40 1. Assumption: "myserver" is the ssh server, and "tobey" is the ssh
41 client.
42 2. "tobey" must be in /etc/hosts.equiv or /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv on
43 "myserver"
44 3. a. The current user attempting to login to myserver from tobey
45 must exist on myserver and is the account being logged into through
46 the ssh session OR
47 b. the account being logged into on myserver must have a
48 ~/.rhosts or ~/.shosts file containing the name of the ssh client
49 (tobey) in its home directory
50 4. tobey's host key must be located in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
51 and/or ~/.ssh/known_hosts on myserver
52
53 Please verify that you have all of the above set up for each client
54 and server pair. You might be better off trying one system as the
55 server and one system as the client until you are able to get a
56 successful connection.
57
58 - --
59 gentux
60 echo "hfouvyyAhnbjm/dpn" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'
61
62 gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 5495 0388 67FF 0B89 1239 D840 4CF0 39E2
63 18D3 4A9E
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list