From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:44:19
1 On Monday 24 March 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > I've revived an old Gentoo laptop, but I've forgotten the root
3 > password. I remember the password to my user account and I can log
4 > in there fine. Can I recover the root password?
5
6 No, that would require undoing high-quality encryption schemes. Which is
7 a good thing, otherwise your internet banking couldn't be safe (amongst
8 other similar evils)
9
10 What you can do is replace the root password with something else:
11
12 Boot from any old LiveCD, mount your gentoo partitions somewhere, chroot
13 into them as root and run 'passwd'
14
15 If this sounds familiar, it's because it's the same process you used to
16 install Gentoo in the first place :-)
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list