From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video database software
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 01:01:49
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 02:55:02 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Andrew Udvare wrote:
4 >>>> On 2019-01-28, at 17:54, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> So far, I have installed Griffith and GCStar. I been googling for
7 >>>> others but some either are not in the tree or I already know they won't
8 >>>> do one thing I'd like to see. I'd also like to be able to point it to a
9 >>>> directory and let it build the database on its own. Adding them one at
10 >>>> a time manually just isn't feasible at all.
11 >>> Seems like you could import via command line?
12 >>> http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/execution
13 >>>
14 >>> You can build the database you need locally with something like exiftool
15 >>> or MediaInfo, or even ffmpeg https://stackoverflow.com/a/8191228/374110 .
16 >>> I highly doubt anyone with serious collections is building their database
17 >>> one item at a time.>
18 >>>> Does anyone know of a software package that will sort a lot of videos by
19 >>>> resolution as well as track other things as well? It could be that what
20 >>>> I'd like to have doesn't exist at all. Then again, maybe I just haven't
21 >>>> found it yet. ;-)
22 >>> The closest thing I can think of is Kodi since it's scanner will retrieve
23 >>> all this information and store it in a straightforward database format.
24 >>> You can choose SQLite or MySQL (of course MySQL is definitely the better
25 >>> choice for larger collections). The downside is the scanner is very slow,
26 >>> especially over a network (and not optimised). The only viewer for this
27 >>> data (at the time being) is Kodi itself.
28 >> Not ignoring. Just pondering this one. May take some time for me to
29 >> test some stuff here. ;-)
30 >>
31 >> Thanks much.
32 >>
33 >> Dale
34 >>
35 >> :-) :-)
36 > Installing and having to maintain Kodi just to manage a list of videos is
37 > probably inefficient - unless you have a regular use for other Kodi
38 > functionality. I use it mostly for audio and also the odd video. It has
39 > loads of useful plugins to play with.
42 I see the point but wouldn't mind having some software that I could use
43 to search for other things as well.  As I mentioned, I have thousands of
44 videos.  While I have some organized and easy enough to find, I have a
45 lot of them that I wish I could do keyword searches on.  Just as a
46 example.  If I'm about to work on my washing machine, I could search for
47 washing machine and find any videos I have on my washing machine, or
48 washing machines in general for that matter. I mention that because my
49 little twisty thingy in the middle isn't twisting anymore.  They claim
50 there is a ratcheting like thing in there that needs replacing.  ;-)
51 I've got to find out how to get to it, what to order etc etc before
52 tearing it apart.  Videos help with that if one can find it among the
53 thousands I have.  o_O
57 > If Kodi is of no use, or you prefer a more portable stand alone CLI solution,
58 > you could look into some basic bash scripts. I couldn't code my way out of a
59 > paper bag, but here's two basic ideas to get you started. First to list all
60 > the videos into a csv file:
61 >
62 > find . -xtype f -iname '*.mp4' -o -iname '*.avi' -o -iname '*.mkv' >
63 > video_list.csv
64 >
65 > You may have to add other types of video file containers depending on your
66 > video collection. As a second step, in order to list all the video
67 > resolutions you could pass the find output to xargs:
68 >
69 > find . -xtype f -iname '*.mp4' -o -iname '*.avi' -o -iname '*.mkv' | tee
70 > video_list.csv | xargs -d '\n' exiftool -T -ImageSize
71 >
72 > Given my non-existent coding skills I am not sure how to append the output of
73 > xargs as a second column to the video_list.csv, which you could thereafter
74 > open with localc to do your searches, or manipulate further. Of course,
75 > localc is not necessary. You can always use less or grep to search the csv
76 > file very efficiently and also re-create it quickly when you add/delete to
77 > your videos.
78 >
79 > Other more knowledgeable contributors should be able to polish and complete
80 > the above, or indeed propose something different than bash (python?) to
81 > perform the same task.
82 >
83 > HTH.
86 Even your command line knowledge surpasses mine by a large margin.  I've
87 got "&", "&&", and the "|" pretty well figured out.  I use grep but
88 based on how others use it, I'm doing it the wrong way as well, or at
89 least the harder/longer way.  I read about that tee command once years
90 ago.  If my Mom ever gets better and I have some free time, I'm going to
91 find a howto for complete idiots, so I can start from scratch which is
92 where I am, at best.  ROFL  My age isn't helping this much.  Sort of
93 getting to be a old dog.  :/
94
95 I'm saving this and will try to analyze it as I can.  I spent most of
96 the day rounding up meds for my Mom.  Doctor in one town, pharmacy in
97 another plus waiting.
98
99 Thanks much.
100