From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:07:49
1 > [snip]
2 >>> I enabled some more kernel options under USB Network Adapters and it's
3 >>> working now.  The install is about done but there were a few
4 >>> peculiarities:
5 >>>
6 >>> 1. fdisk won't let me specify a start block before 2048 even though I
7 >>> deleted all partitions.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> That's normal. It's a long story, but Windows Vista and Windows 7 expects
11 >> the first partition to start at sector 2048.
12 >>
13 >> You can force a lower number by toggling "DOS compatibility"; this should
14 >> let you start the first partition as low as sector 63.
15 >>
16 >> HOWEVER, make sure that all partitions begin at multiples of 8 (e.g., 64,
17 >> 72, 80, and so on); this will save you a lot of grief if it happens that the
18 >> hard disk you're using has 4KiB-sectors. [1]
19 >
20 > Got it, I'll just stick with 2048.
21 >
22 >>> 2. grub-install reported something like:
23 >>>
24 >>> fd0
25 >>> hd0
26 >>> hd1
27 >>>
28 >>> where hd1 was the USB key.  Should I fix this to remove the USB key from
29 >>> grub?
30 >>>
31 >>
32 >> I see no problem. The lower number is still the internal hard disk, so grub
33 >> shouldn't have any trouble booting.
34 >
35 > Sounds good.
36 >
37 >>> 3. Portage complains about duplicate repositories.  I think it has to
38 >>> do with the fact that I ran emerge --sync without downloading and
39 >>> extracting an initial snapshot.
40 >>>
41 >>
42 >> Try 'rm -rf /usr/portage', download (or copy) portage-latest tarball, and
43 >> extract it into a re-created /usr/portage
44 >
45 > I tried that but I get the same message:
46 >
47 > "WARNING: One of more repositories have been ignored due to duplicate
48 > profiles/repo_name entires:
49 >
50 > /, gentoo, /usr/local/portage overrides
51 > /usr/portage
52 >
53 > All profiles/repo_name entries must be unique in order to avoid having
54 > duplicates ignored.  Set PORTAGE_REPO_DUPLICATE_WARN="0" in
55 > /etc/make.conf if you would like to disable this warning."
56 >
57 > - Grant
58
59 Just figured it out. I had a duplicate tree in /usr/local/portage
60 which I just deleted. I had to re-set my profile with eselect.
61 Please let me know if there's anything else I might have to re-do.
62
63 - Grant