From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM on LUKS
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:06:08
1 Am 07.08.2010 11:48, schrieb Florian Philipp:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > I'm building a new Gentoo system (notebook) and want to rearrange a few
5 > things. I thought it would be good to have the following layout:
6 >
7 > - boot on a normal partition
8 > - root on a normal partition
9 > - one big encrypted partition (dmcrypt / LUKS)
10 > - on that partition an LVM volume group
11 > - on that volume group all stuff not necessary for booting: home, var,
12 > tmp, etc.
13 >
14 > AFAIK, the Gentoo boot process is organized so that LVM gets stated
15 > before dmcrypt is started. I would need it vice versa.
16 >
17 > Is that possible with baselayout-1? Do I need to switch to baselayout-2?
18 >
19 > Thanks in advance!
20 > Florian Philipp
23 Thanks everyone for your suggestions! However, I decided against using
24 them for basically two reasons:
25
26 1. I want to keep it simple and safe and there are few things more
27 troublesome than a system which cannot even mount its root.
28
29 Therefore I keep root on a normal partition while everything with
30 possibly valuable information (tmp, var, home, srv) gets encrypted. opt
31 and usr/local will follow, if necessary.
32
33 It is also my reason for not using an initrd.
34
35 2. I want as few single points of failure as possible on my system. A
36 key file would be such a point. Granted, a single volume with a
37 passphrase is also a SPOF - but one which is less likely to fall prey to
38 an rm -rf *. (Okay, I have a backup, but I would like to avoid using it ;) )
39
40 Long story short: In the end, I tried baselayout-2 and it works like a
41 charm. I just configured /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt, added dmcrypt to runlevel
42 sysinit and then (just for good measure, don't think it's necessary)
43 added 'rc_dmcrypt_before="lvm"' to /etc/rc.conf.