From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Linux and the Higgs
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 17:24:22
1 Am 05.07.2012 23:22, schrieb Grant Edwards:
2 > On 2012-07-05, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Linux was used to find the Higgs:
4 >>
5 >> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/w2ly6/new_boson_found_by_linux/
6 >>
7 >> I am not really surprised, but what does disturb me is that the
8 >> distros used in the effort were mainly "Scientific Linux and Ubuntu."
9 >>
10 >> Where was Gentoo?
11 >>
12 >> Somebody had better counsel these scientists to be better able to
13 >> discern the quality of a Linux distro.
14 >
15 > I know you're probably being ironic, but...
16 >
17 > Scientific Linux is a distro put together by Fermilab, CERN, et alia
18 > for doing the exact type of stuff that they do at CERN. Maybe an
19 > argument could be made for moving SL from a RHEL base to a Gentoo
20 > base, but trying to get them to abandon SL probably isn't going to be
21 > easy.
22 >
23 > The target market for Ubuntu just doesn't seem to be very compatible
24 > with the Gentoo, so that's going to be a tough sell also.
27 Yeah, just think about the timeframe for which they support their
28 current distribution: You can keep your SL-6 distributions running until
29 2020 and still get security fixes! Try to do this with Gentoo while
30 keeping binary compatibility!
31
32 And I guess binary compatibility is rather important when you consider
33 global Grid systems. When every lab and every scientist might have their
34 own set of tools linked against libraries in your distro (often lacking
35 a proper build system), you definitely don't want to tell them to
36 "revdep-rebuild" their cluster...
37
38 SL and Gentoo are both pretty awesome distros but they don't really have
39 much in common.
40
41 Regards,
42 Florian Philipp