From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:33:44
1 2013/7/19 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
2 >
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 03:22:11 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>>> Do you really want to put /home on a SSD?
8 >>>>
9 >>>> Why not?
10 >>>>
11 >>>> /home is the most frequently-read directory on most systems, and SSD
12 >>>> is ideal for that.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> If you are concerned about wear-levelling, /home is not the danger
15 >>>> point
16 >>>
17 >>> Interesting. I'm not sure I would want mine on a SSD even if it would
18 >>> fit on one. The only part that might help would be my .kde
19 >>> and .mozilla directory.
20 >>
21 >> SSDs are not like USB flash drives, and it's been years since I managed
22 >> to wear one of those out (mainly due to a kernel bug). They have
23 >> lifetimes similar to spinny disks these days.
27 > Now I really feel about better getting one. That was my concern and reason for the question. I'm sure /home gets its share of reads and writes and was thinking the writes would cause a problem over time. Maybe they are better now than they was a while back.
28 >
29 > Thanks for the update.
32 > Dale
33 >
34 > :-) :-)
35 >
36 > --
37 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
41 I came across the topic of SSD writes when setting up my laptop with
42 an ssd and the question, is a tmpfs vor /var/tmp/portage or swapfile
43 on SSD a good idea? At some point I found this at ArchWiki page about
44 SSDs[1], but I don't know how up to date or correct this is.
45
46 "A 32GB SSD with a mediocre 10x write amplification factor, a standard
47 10000 write/erase cycle, and 10GB of data written per day, would get
48 an 8 years life expectancy. It gets better with bigger SSDs and modern
49 controllers with less write amplification."
50
51 Now I have /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs and a swapfile on the SSD, but I
52 think the drive will last for the next years so i don't have to worry
53 much about it.
54
55 [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives
58 Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
59
60 Randolph Maaßen