From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The device-mapper init script is written for baselayout-2
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:24:03
1 On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:26:29 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > If he uses LVM then he may need it. You are right on the baselayout
4 > but this got installed here when I was playing around with LVM. I
5 > would hate for him to be using LVM and not have this when he reboots.
6 > I didn't see any mention of this in the original post. He may not use
7 > LVM but if he does. . . .
8 >
9 > Also note, I have not used/installed baselayout to version 2 either but
10 > I still have this installed and it is needed by something else, that I
11 > may not need either. I haven't went that far here.
12
13 It seems everyone is getting wound up about nothing here. device-mapper
14 is used for LVM, RAID, dm-crypt and maybe others. No one needs to
15 uninstall anything. One file in the whole of the device-mapper package is
16 an init script for baselayout 2 only. When run under baselayout 1 it does
17 nothing but output a "Don't run me" warning. You should not uninstall any
18 package, remove any file, pass Go or collect $200, just remove the script
19 from the boot runlevel.
20
21 The ebuild does not add the script to the runlevel, so the OP must have
22 read the elog output about adding it for baselayout 2, misunderstood (or
23 decided it would be a good idea to add it anyway) and added it to the
24 boot runlevel. This was a mistake and the solution is simply to reverse
25 this action by removing it from the runlevel. The has been a lot of
26 speculation, confusion and misinformation in this thread when all that is
27 needed it to undo one action.
28
29 Yes Alan, I also know what the ebuild does :)
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 The world is coming to an end... SAVE YOUR BUFFERS!!