From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: mount cdrom: No buffer space available
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:42:18
1 On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:53:40 +0100, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > >> There is no need to do so. However, a fuse based filesystem for mounting
4 > >> audio CDs exists, see http://castet.matthieu.free.fr/cddfs/.
5 > >
6 > > Oh, thank you all for your input -- I've been a bit obsessed with rails
7 > > and let this go to the back burner a bit.
8 > >
9 > > However, I did notice that when I click on "CDROM" from nautilus there's
10 > > a message about HAL; again, though, it cannot be a hardware issue as
11 > > these particular discs and drives work in another distro on the same
12 > > machine.
13 >
14 > If the discs and drives work on the same machine with a different distro,
15 > then I agree, the hardware should work.
16 >
17 > Also, as the /dev/ entries exist and it doesn't complain about that, the
18 > drives are probably detected correctly.
19 >
20 > > I believe it to be a driver issue (HAL is a hardware driver? Hardware
21 > > Abstraction Layer? But isn't it more BIOS than OS?). I'll double check
22 > > things with some data discs on the other distro in the next few days and
23 > > do some more googling (and wikipedia-ing).
24 >
25 > Can you also check with datadiscs on the Gentoo installation?
26 > I agree with the others that audio-discs are generally not mountable.
27 > The FUSE-driver for Audio-discs might be installed on your other distro
28 > (Redhat?), but is not installed by default with Gentoo.
29 >
30 > > If this sheds any light:
33 > > arrakis ~ #
34 > > arrakis ~ # dmesg | grep 'cd'
35 > > ehci_hcd 0000:00:03.3: EHCI Host Controller
36 >
37 > <Snipped dmesg-output>
38 >
39 > When I do the above command, it only shows me the cd/dvd writer, not the
40 > cdrom drive.
41 > Can you post the full output of "dmesg" after you booted the system?
42 >
43 > > I think it's more on shutdown that I notice lotsa weird messages about
44 > > the cdrom drive(s) since futzing with /etc/fstab.
45 >
46 > Can you also give us the contents of your "/etc/fstab" file?
47
48 Haven't followed up all of this thread, but it may well be a clash between
49 hald/dbus trying to control your media devices and your fstab. Entries in
50 the latter are only applicable if you want to be mounting such devices
51 manually.
52 --
53 Regards,
54 Mick