From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:08:38
1 On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:47:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> > That is the latest for my card that is in the tree.
5 >>
6 >> No! It is not the latest. It's just what portage is offering you. The
7 >> link I sent you clearly (!?) stated that you need to be running the
8 >> latest 'Certified' driver revision 275.09.07 to get this fix. Just
9 >> because the Gentoo devs haven't marked it as stable does (to me) mean
10 >> that I should take their word for it.
11 >
12 > Gentoo devs don't mark software as stable, they mark ebuilds as stable.
13 > This has no direct link to the usability of the software itself.
14
15 Very true and while I don't think my post disagreed with you your
16 clarification is timely. It's unclear to me whether there is a
17 specific dev policy about exactly what has to happen to have an ebuild
18 marked as stable but my understanding has been that then Gentoo devs
19 do different things like wait for some number of users to download it
20 and/or watch bug reports for some period of time ensuring there aren't
21 too many problems, etc., before marking the ebuild as stable. Is that
22 roughly correct?
23
24 - Mark