From: joost@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Incorporating openvpn in backup scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:06:20
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >>>>> I have several remote systems all pushing backups to my local
4 >laptop
5 >>>>> via rdiff-backup. Sometimes when on the road I find myself behind
6 >a
7 >>>>> router and the remote systems are unable to push. Is openvpn the
8 >>>>> right solution here? Should I run a separate openvpn server on
9 >each
10 >>>>> system to be backed up with my laptop as the client?
11 >>>>
12 >>>> If you can configure the router to forward the port used by the
13 >OpenVPN
14 >>>> server to your laptop, you can run the server on your laptop.
15 >>>
16 >>> I can't rely on being able to configure the router unfortunately,
17 >but
18 >>> I have to admit admin/admin does work a lot of the time.
19 >>>
20 >>>> But, as is more likely, when you can not configure the router,
21 >running
22 >>>> an
23 >>>> OpenVPN server on (at least one) remote system and having your
24 >laptop
25 >>>> connect to that, you can have the other systems push to your laptop
26 >over
27 >>>> the VPN-link.
28 >>>> Either directly (by establishing multiple VPN-links from your
29 >laptop
30 >>>> (one
31 >>>> to each server) or via one of the remote systems.
32 >>>
33 >>> So I'm sure I understand, I should run the openvpn server on one of
34 >my
35 >>> remote systems and connect to that with each of the other remote
36 >>> systems and the laptop. Then I can back up from any of the remote
37 >>> systems to the laptop and all the laptop needs to be able to do is
38 >>> make an outbound connection to the openvpn server?
41 >> 1) OpenVPN on every remote system and have laptop connect to all
42 >remote
43 >> systems for the backup
44 >>
45 >> 2) OpenVPN on 1 remote system (configured as router for the
46 >VPN-links)
47 >> - laptop and other remote systems connect to this remote system
48 >> - backup are sent to laptop via this one remote system
49 >
50 >#2 sounds cooler. Is that what you'd do?
51 >
52 >- Grant
53
54 Yes.
55 With the VPN server being at my home network.
56 --
57 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.