From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Introduce Manual manipulation during an emerge
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 20:17:07
1 On 12 Jun 2009, at 20:59, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > ...
3 > For something like this it seems way overkill to have a separate
4 > custom /usr/local/portage where I build my own. Especially since I
5 > find that whole process difficult and way overkill for this problem.
6 >
7 > Further its something that will almost certainly be fixed soon and
8 > won't be something I have to attend to again.
9
10 If you think that's the case then just mask the current version of
11 procmail in /etc/portage/package.mask & remerge procmail. An older
12 version without this bug will be installed & when an updated version
13 is available portage will install it automagically.
14
15 I consider /usr/local/portage to be essential, because there's most
16 always a package or three on my systems which I can't get through the
17 regular tree, or which i wish to version bump myself. I don't consider
18 this a hassle because I could create the updated ebuild with patch in
19 a few minutes.
20
21 Because I most always check some reference resources when I do this, I
22 can't quickly explain to you how to maintain this tree yourself. I
23 think the time it would take you to learn this would be well-spent, as
24 I'm sure you'll eventually need to use a /usr/local/portage package
25 again in the future. Like I say, once you know how, it becomes easy.
26 But if you consider it a hassle, just mask the buggy version of
27 procmail & forget about the problem.
28
29 Stroller.