From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Allow a user to restart net.wlan0?
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:59:41
1 Hi,
2 We have a machine here, my son's, which runs Gentoo and uses (I
3 think) a D-Link 802.11abg NIC:
4
5 03:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G
6 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
7
8 The setup uses ndiswrapper to load the Windows driver. For some
9 reason this NIC seems to go off line quite a bit - maybe once a day.
10 I'm assuming that this is caused by the Windows driver & ndiswrapper
11 having some sort of problem that is probably light years beyond my
12 ability to debug. However running /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart always
13 seems to get it going again.
14
15 How can I set up the system to allow my son to run this command
16 himself as a user? It appears that the script itself is runnable by a
17 user, but when we try it I get a message that only root can run init
18 scripts.
19
20 Sector9 ~ # ls -al /etc/init.d/net.*
21 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Sep 16 10:14 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 -> net.lo
22 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 30341 Sep 16 10:27 /etc/init.d/net.lo
23 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Jul 29 11:31 /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 -> net.lo
24 Sector9 ~ #
25
26 Is there an easy way to make this one script runnable by my son so
27 that when I'm not around he can get things going again?
28
29 On the other hand if there is an Open Source Linux driver for this
30 card I'd love to install that but I don't know of one.
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark
34 --