From: "Maximilian Bräutigam" <max-braeu@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to build a time machine on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:13:51
1 Hi
2
3 Am 16.08.2010 01:11, schrieb Nganon:
4 > Hello all,
5 >
6 > My first post on the list. I thought I would start with something that I
7 > started
8 > to think of as 'essential' after losing 90GB of data. Now I have two main
9 > questions in mind: what to and how to back up on gentoo most efficiently.
10 >
11 > 1. Apart from users' home directories and the followings, what should be
12 > backed
13 > up on a gentoo machine?
14 > /etc/portage/
15 > /root
16 > /var/lib/portage
17 > ...?
18
19 You should backup all in / except
20 /tmp/*
21 /sys/*
22 /proc/*
23 /lost+found/*
24 /dev/*
25
26 I have no solution how to bzip or gzip your backups or how to make a dvd
27 backup, but I use "app-backup/rsnapshot" which uses rsync but implements
28 an intelligent rotating system that is done daily, weekly, monthly,
29 yearly according to your config. Of course you should store the backup
30 on another physical hdd.
31
32 By the way, since a new hdd of one TB is pretty cheap, think about
33 running your gentoo in a software RAID. Guides:
34
35 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
36 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Software_RAID_Install
37
38 Kind regards,
39 der Max
40
41 > 2. Erm..okay, I am gonna say, what magic I want and then ask your way.
42 > I first started making gzipped tar balls as follows:
43 >
44 > tar czpf /media/backups/userA-`date +%Y.%m.%d`.tgz -X userA-excludelist /etc
45 >
46 > But these can get huge especially for home dirs. I also want safe dvd
47 > copies.
48 > Though I can find enough space on the external drives, I don't trust them
49 > any more. See above..sigh..(No I recovered about one third of it with
50 > testdisk/photorec
51 > which names them as file000001 file00002.. and half them are zero
52 > sized.. which
53 > quite justifies my agony)
54 >
55 > Here is what I wanna do. I want to have only one big backup for, say,
56 > userA-2010.08.07.tgz and other small backup tars containing only the
57 > files/folders that were modified since last update, 2010.08.07, as
58 > userA-diff-2010.08.14.tgz, userA-diff-2010.08.21.tgz,
59 > userA-diff-2010.08.28.tgz
60 > etc. Now if I want to take the userA back to the future, 2010.08.21, I
61 > want to
62 > do it by first extracting the huge tar userA-2010.08.07.tgz and then the
63 > tiny
64 > backup userA-diff-2010-08-21.tgz.
65 >
66 > But the thing is I don't know how to do this. I am hoping maybe you can
67 > tell me
68 > how to of it as well as a better way of doing backups.
69 >
70 > By the way, since I want dvd backups as well, and I want to use +rw dvds
71 > so I
72 > can overwrite old backup after a while, what is best way of ensuring the
73 > integrity and safety of them. Is it a good idea to use truecrypt
74 > containers? Or
75 > nothing tops signing and encrypting with gpg?
76 >
77 > Thanks for any comment in advance.