From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mplayer vs mplayer2
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:37:54
1 John Campbell <jdc.rpv@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > On 03/29/2011 08:01 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
4 >
5 > > While I've been quite pleased with mplayer as tweaked by Nikos
6 > > Chantziaras to allow Multi threading on my core-I7 (Nvidia) (and I
7 > > realize that MT will now be in the upstream distribution), I'm wondering
8 > > if mplayer2 is now stable and better enough to merit switching.
9 >
10 > Mplayer2 installs in parallel, so try them both.
11 >
12 > I moved to mplayer2 some time ago, before the name-change to
13 > mplayer2. I've had fewer issues with it than with mplayer but your
14 > mileage may vary.
15 >
16 > After a quick comparison I'd say they use about the same amount of CPU
17 > but mplayer still has problems with fontconfig freezing the video for
18 > a few seconds whenever fonts change in subtitles. This can be a real
19 > problem when subtitles contain a lot of UTF8 extended characters not
20 > actually found in the selected font. You also see a lot of "Glyf not
21 > found in font, choosing another font" warnings.
22 >
23 > Mplayer2 doesn't have this problem as it shifts fontconfig into
24 > another thread. Mplayer itself isn't multithreaded yet, just ffmpeg.
25 > Mplayer2 also handles mkv chapters, which aren't really all that
26 > useful anyway.
27 >
28 > So I'd say just install mplayer2, add threads=5 to your config and try
29 > them both.
30 I am not seeing mplayer2 in the tree -- unless it came in the last day
31 or so -- and which config takes the threads=5 parameter?
34 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
35 How do
36 you spend it?
37
38 John Covici