From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Socks-ifying an application
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:51:03
1 On Tue, 15 May 2012 10:50:43 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can't seem to be able to
5 > get tsocks, or proxychains working.
6 >
7 > I set up a socks server virtue of ssh dynamic port forwarding:
8 >
9 > $ ssh -D localhost:12465 root@10.10.10.12
10
11 This part is fine.
12
13 I tried the next part. It didn't work nicely for me.
14
15 So what I do now is:
16
17 Firefox + FoxyProxy
18
19 and now I can set my proxy individually per site. All the internal work
20 stuff accessed from home goes through the proxy, except the three sites
21 only viewable from the outside; and everything else bypasses the proxy.
22
23 Much better than trying to deal with a global proxy (although foxyproxy
24 will do that too if that is what you need.
25
26 And dispense with all the tsocks stuff.
27
28 I see recent KDE now also supports socks. This is a nice new addition
29 so konqueror can also use it.
35 > Then I run:
36 >
37 > $ . tsocks on
38 > $ tsocks sh
39 > LD_PRELOAD="/lib/libtsocks.so"
40 > $ tsocks firefox
41 >
42 > or tsocks kmail, or tsocks <anything else>.
43 >
44 > The connection is not sent out via the server on 10.10.10.12. The
45 > terminal that ran tsocks does not reveal anything in terms of a
46 > connection taking place, at least not when I run firefox. With
47 > Chromium things are more revealing:
48 >
49 > $ . tsocks on
50 > $ tsocks sh
51 > LD_PRELOAD="/lib/libtsocks.so"
52 > $ tsocks chromium
53 > [4591:4604:405018909:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call
54 > method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
55 > org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
56 > ERROR: ld.so: object '/lib/libtsocks.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
57 > preloaded: ignored.
60 > Exporting like this, also fails to load it for chromium:
61 >
62 > $ export LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libtsocks.so
63 > $ tsocks sh
64 > LD_PRELOAD="/lib/libtsocks.so"
65 > $ tsocks chromium
66 > [5052:5065:973215173:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call
67 > method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
68 > org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
69 > ERROR: ld.so: object '/lib/libtsocks.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be
70 > preloaded: ignored.
74 > If I set up socks within the firefox application Advanced/Network
75 > settings, without using tsocks, the connection succeeds through the
76 > ssh tunnel. Therefore I am confident that the tunnel itself is
77 > working as a socks5 server.
80 > This is what I have in /etc/socks/tsocks.conf
81 >
82 > server = 127.0.0.1
83 > server_type = 5
84 > server_port = 12465
85 >
86 > Similarly, I get no connection if I use proxychains.
87 >
88 > Any idea what I am doing wrong here?
94 Alan McKinnnon
95 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com