From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I copied a Gentoo VM and now networking doesn't work.
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 10:06:43
1 On Wednesday 09 May 2007 02:55:42 Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 > I have a Gentoo VM that I've used for years (XP Host. Workstation 5.5.3).
3 > Works great.
4 >
5 > I copied the .vmdk and .vmx files to a new directory called "LAMP". I
6 > edited the .vmx file changing the appropriate paths. Now when I start the
7 > new VM, my networking fails. (I changed nothing inside the linux VM).
8 >
9 > ifconfig eth0 says:
10 > eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
11
12 Check for other devices. udev now establishes persistent network device names
13 based on MAC address (unless you add some of your own rules). It's very
14 likely that the MAC address of the virtual device changed, and the "new"
15 device is eth1 (or higher).
16
17 This isn't really Gentoo specific. It's bit me on at least 2 other distros as
18 well. (Mainly due to the network cards in one of my systems being "broken"
19 so that the MAC is randomized by the kernel on each boot.)
20
21 This new behavior is odd to me, but in the long run I think it'll improve
22 usability of Linux in general.
25 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
26 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
27 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
28 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/