From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to the gnome-system-monitor panel applet?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 23:37:50
1 On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > (I considered posting this into the Linus-bashing-gnome3 thread, then
3 > I decided against it :)
4 >
5 > There are tons of stuff in gnome(any version) that I don't need, but
6 > for many years I've stuck with gnome for one, maybe silly, reason.
7 >
8 > The gnome-system-monitor applet displays graphs of processor use,
9 > memory use, network load, disk activity, and swap usage in one tiny
10 > panel applet about 5cm wide and 1cm high.
11 >
12 > The important thing to me is that the graphs display the values of
13 > all of those things over last 60 seconds or so.  And the graphs are
14 > never hidden behind other windows because the panel is always visible.
15 >
16 > Over the years I've caught $LARGE_NUMBER of bugs that show up as
17 > inappropriate cpu load or excessive memory use or network traffic
18 > or hard-disk activity.
19 >
20 > Yes, that's my own fault because I choose to live on the bleeding
21 > edge :)  I get pain and pleasure at the same time -- but I don't
22 > need to explain that to this group :p
23 >
24 > I'd probably be using xfce if not for that one panel applet.
25 >
26 > Any suggestions?
27
28 https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/120/system-monitor/
29
30 Pretty similar to the GNOME 2 version. Or
31
32 https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/9/systemmonitor/
33
34 If you want it a little large and visible when pressing the windows key.
35
36 Regards.
37 --
38 Canek Peláez Valdés