From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:28:31
1 On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:03:30 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > That sounds nice but is a Bad Idea in the real world where most people
4 > > judge things by the default setup. Turns off the nice features and
5 > > 90+% of people trying the software don't see them.
6 >
7 > Really?, Try that approach at a carrier network support center, where
8 > new stuff is rolled out to cutomers without first explaing, warning
9 > and offering up options..... It's shows a blatant disrespect for
10 > the existing customer base. Nobody in business, treats existing
11 > customers that way, imho. In industry, punks with that mentality get
12 > *FIRED*....
13
14 Yes, really. People boot a distro's live CD, maybe install it, and make
15 quick decisions about whether they like it or not.
16
17 > > It seems to me you dumped KDE because it had too many features and
18 > > now are complaining that LXDE's terminal is short on features.
19 >
20 > WRONG!
21 >
22 > I dumped KDE, like many others, because I got tire of wasting time
23 > trying to figure how what the hell happen each time a ran an upgrade,
24
25 I honestly don't have that problem. Possibly because I have configured so
26 much of it that the system defaults never get a look in, changed or not.
27
28 > Note, I've use a myriad of qt
29 > based open source and commercial products on embedded systems.
30 > Those efforts do not mirror the "attide" of the KDE camp, you
31 > espouse so well.
32
33 I've no idea what you are trying to say here.
34
35 > > Either run Konsole on LXDE or do wht you suggested the KDE devs do
36 > > and run KDE with the eye > candy turned off. The former is probably
37 > > more sensible.
38 >
39 > no thanks. Raw X is just fine for my needs, wants and desires.
40
41 Like I said, but you seemed to ignore, run Konsole on LXDE to get all you
42 need. I've found Konsole to be one of the best terminals out there,
43 irrespective of whether you use KDE or not, although Terminology does
44 look interesting.
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 Scientists decode the first confirmed alien transmission from outer space
51 ...
52 "This really works! Just send 5*10^50 H atoms to each of the five star
53 systems listed below. Then, add your own system to the top of the list,
54 delete the system at the bottom, and send out copies of this message to
55 100 other solar systems. If you follow these instructions, within 0.25 of
56 a galactic rotation you are guaranteed to receive enough hydrogen in
57 return to power your civilization until entropy reaches its maximum!"