From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying USB->USB: sync after every file
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 22:18:09
1 On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:14:14AM +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 09:14:22AM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
4 > > On 2017-01-23 16:50, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > I need a pointer, please. Something is amiss on my laptop’s
7 > > > setup. When I copy a number of big files (i.e. videos) from one USB
8 > > > device to another, it starts to read the file, then after a few
9 > > > seconds starts to write to the destination and only *after* that file
10 > > > has been completely written, it continues with the next file.
11 > >
12 > > What are the mount options on the USB drives?
13
14 Alrighty, here are the results, and they look as expected.
15
16 > I tried to reproduce the problem with those two devices, but this time I had
17 > no issue. There are several possible reasons I can think of:
18 > - Different file system. I think the affected HDD runs on FAT.
19
20 The harddrive in question is in fact FAT-formatted and is mounted thus:
21 /dev/sdc1 on <path> type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
22
23 While an NTFS-formatted drive of mine gets this:
24 /dev/sdb1 on <path> type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
25
26 Notice that only the FAT disk is mounted with the flush option, hence my
27 inability to reproduce the other day. I remounted the drive with the exact
28 same options as it got from the automounter, but without the flush option.
29 The delays were gone.
30
31 So I will either have to find a way to give the KDE mounter some options
32 (preferably only for HDDs, but not USB thumbdrives), or live with the
33 observed behaviour. It’s not like I’m using FAT-formatted disks myself any
34 longer (except for USB sticks and SD cards).
35
36 So long.
39 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
40 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
41
42 “Don’t put multiple statements on a single line unless you have something
43 to hide.” – Linus Torvalds, Linux kernel coding style documentation