From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Testing SSD? (Somewhat OT)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 16:16:09
1 Well, I sure haven't had much luck with SSDs. This will be the third one
2 I've lost.
3
4 On Wednesday I was watching my mythtv frontend when it hardlocked. Last
5 time this happened the 7-year-old rust recordings drive failed. However,
6 all that checked out and I found out I couldn't ssh in to the frontend
7 to kill mythfrontend.
8
9 I checked the CPU & RAM by booting via USB and it all checked out. I
10 tried booting the SSD and the kernel panicked. After rebooting again, it
11 started, but every command run ended with a segmentation fault.
12
13 I decided to try flashing the drive's firmware, and that did so
14 successfully. It booted right away after that with no panic, but the
15 frontend decided that it couldn't find the backend any longer. I found
16 this was not true, I (as root) could ping and connect via mysql using
17 remote credentials.
18
19 After another twenty minutes of fiddling around, I discovered the setUID
20 root bit on /bin/ping had been removed somehow and this was preventing
21 mythtv from finding its backend. At this point I restored from backup
22 and then I discovered after restoring /bin/ping lost it setuid root bit
23 again.
24
25 After that I gave up (thinking what else has changed on the disk) and
26 yesterday bought a new SSD, this time a SanDisk model. It was cheap and
27 I hope I don't regret this in the future. So my frontend is once again
28 running.
29
30 That aside, the drive that failed is a Crucial m4. I have done some
31 searching as how to run diagnostics on an SSD. This drive should still
32 have eight or so months of warranty left. These drive did have a bug if
33 they ran longer than 51xx hours but:
34
35 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 001 Old_age Always
38 ...there's only 2382 on this drive. It also accesses all media remotely
39 through the LAN.
40
41 Currently I'm running shred on the affected SSD. I also could run
42 smartctl on the drive. Do other diagnostic tools even work on SSDs? This
43 is where I'm sort of lost, I've not tried diagnostics on them. I usually
44 send them back for warranty, but this time I'm curious.
45
46 Dan