From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] keeping grub 1
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 19:27:01
1 On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:01:48 PM Florian Gamböck wrote:
2 > Hi James!
3 >
4 > Am 25.08.2015 um 20:44 schrieb James:
5 > > If I just unmerge grub and emerge grub-static, is that the
6 > > best way to prevent grub-2 from ever being installed?
7 >
8 > If you want to keep your good old sys-boot/grub:0, just put exactly that
9 > into your world file, including with the slot-version (the :0 at the
10 > end). At least in the "main" portage tree, grub-2 uses slot 2, whereas
11 > grub-1 stays in slot 0.
12 >
13 > Alternatively you could put something like >=sys-boot/grub-2 or even
14 > sys-boot/grub:2 into package.mask.
15 >
16 > HTH,
17 > --Flo
18
19 And since you can install both it may be a good idea to get legacy grub
20 working before unmerging grub2. If something goes wrong you just need to
21 chroot and run grub2-install (or whatever it's called).
22
23 The grub-static package is most useful for amd64 systems without a 32-bit
24 ncurses. I believe it ships a prebuilt ncurses static library.
27 Fernando Rodriguez