From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VNC problems
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:07:29
1 On Saturday, 24 February 2007 23:08, Gyuszk wrote:
2 > Dear Gentoo users,
3 >
4 > I'm having VNC-related problems.
5 > I want to make VNC'ing work the following:
6 >
7 > I have a Gentoo desktop box with gdm+gnome, only one user. I'm using X
8 > on DISPLAY:0 0-24/7 all the time. If I'm not sitting in front of the
9 > box, I lock the session with the corresponding Gnome menu. So, X
10 > DISPLAY:0 is always active with my Gnome desktop (sometimes locked,
11 > thats all).
12 >
13 > I have another machine with Windows XP. (Just on a little partition, I
14 > want to install Linux on the remaining 70GB.)
15 >
16 > >From this machine I want to connect using VNC to the gentoo desktop.
17 >
18 > I've read the corresponding howtos on gentoo-wiki.org, with no success.
19 > What works: I can connect to the Gentoo box using VNC, but it opens
20 > DISPLAY:1 and starts an X session with TWM, instead of opening my
21 > existing X session on DISPLAY:0
22 >
23 > All in all: I want to connect (using TightVNC Win32) to the existing
24 > DISPLAY:0 (gnome) session. Is it possible?
25 > If isn't, the following will do:
26 >
27 > a GDM session opens in my VNC window, and I can login to my account into
28 > gnome. With existing user, with existing home folder.
29 >
30 > I hope I was clear. Sorry for my English, I'm from Hungary.
31 >
32 > Thanks in advance!
33 >
34 > Gyuszk
35
36 You can use x11-misc/x11vnc to view an existing X session over vnc.
39 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list