From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The new Gentoo user and the Kernel
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:54:27
1 On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:31:35 -0500
2 Henson Sturgill <henson.gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm new to Gentoo, but really loving the amount of control it
5 > provides (I'm guessing all Gentoo-users are control freaks?) During
6 > my initial install, I forgot to enable tmpfs -- though it was clearly
7 > printed in the manual.
8 >
9 > While looking for a solution, I saw countless forum posts from users
10 > with the same "problem". Which makes me wonder..
11 >
12 > Why not patch the default config to have these items enabled?
13 >
14 > Is it a legacy thing, a way to force users into reading documentation
15 > and becoming more self sufficient, or are we just trying to stay true
16 > to the upstream developers? Maybe something else?
17
18 I'm not completely sure, but I believe it's just the config that comes
19 from upstream. For Gentoo users who want a kernel automagically
20 configured, there's genkernel.
21
22 Welcome to Gentoo! Have fun! :)